Friday, May 30, 2014

Mount Jerusalem, Walls of Jerusalem National Park - March 2010


I'd always wanted to check out the Walls of Jerusalem National Park and this was my first opportunity. I was over in Tasmania to walk the Penguin Cradle and Overland tracks and had a day to spare, the weather looked like it might behave so I thought I'd have a crack at doing Mt Jerusalem as a day walk. I left Sam at our accommodation in Deloraine and was at the track head by 9:00am.
I was hoping that the dickheads would keep concentrating on the signs and not my car!
After locking the car and saying a silent prayer that it wouldn't get broken into, I set off in overcast but dry weather. Initially the track climbs fairly relentlessly and within about .2 of a second I was warmed up and sweating bullets. I was on a bit of a mission to get to Mt Jerusalem before a predicted cold change came through later in the day so I didn't pause at Trappers Hut on the climb.Once I was over the main climb on to the plateau I changed down a gear and settled into a nice pace.
Solomons Jewels with King Davids Peak looming up in the distance.
Second breakfast time near Solomons Jewels.
A Pademelon grazing near the tent platforms at Wild Dog Creek.
The track was well constructed and had some duck boards and stone work where needed, I had a beautiful walk across the alpine plateau passing many small lakes and tarns. The weather was looking OK so I pulled up at Solomons Jewels for my second breakfast, stretching out on the duck boards. Pushing on I crossed Wild Dog Creek where the official bush walkers camp is, disturbing a Pademelon munching on the grass. Passing through Herods Gate, Lake Salome came into view, I was now walking along a boarded track beside the lake in an amphitheatre of granite cliffs, luckily for me the surface of the track was good as I spent most of this section checking out the stunning views.
Lake Salome coming into view.
The boarded track around Lake Salome.
The saddle in the distance is Damascus Gate.
Mt Jerusalem taken through the saddle between The Temple and Zion Hill.
Pencil Pines.
I checked out the Pool of Bethesda on the way up to Damascus Gate, refilling my water bottle at a beautiful spring beside the track on the way up. From Damascus Gate the track dropped a little on its way to Dixons Kingdom Hut, passing through a beautiful Pencil Pine forest on the way, this was rapidly turning into one of my best days walking, everywhere I looked the view was awe inspiring. I was now within sight of the goal, Mt Jerusalem, from Dixons Kingdom Hut I climbed up to Jaffa Gate and then up a rocky route onto a reasonably flat plateau that makes up the summit of Mt Jerusalem. Once on the summit plateau I had an easy walk over the rocky track to the summit cairn
A small spring near the Pool of Bethesda.
The track passing by a beautiful Pencil Pine forest.
The Pool of Bethesda.
Looking south down an open valley from just over Damascus Gate.
I had lunch on the summit taking in the 360 degree view, the Walls of Jerusalem NP stretching out around me, everywhere I looked there were alpine lakes and tarns. The view back down to Lake Salome being particularly impressive. Heading back to Jaffa Gate I picked up the boarded track down to Dixons Kingdom Hut, the track crossed some damp ground with some beautiful and big cushion plants right beside the track. Stopping at the hut I took the opportunity to have a poke around, Dixons Kingdoms Hut is an old cattleman's hut and it is in a beautiful setting, right on the edge of a Pencil Pine forest.
Looking back towards Lake Salome from Mt Jerusalem.
A Wedgetail Eagle surfing the thermals from Mt Jerusalem.
The Walls of Jerusalem National Park stretching out behind me.
Leaving the hut I back tracked up to Damascus Gate, where I left the main track and headed up to the top of Solomons Throne. The route up to Solomons Throne was steep in parts but very do-able, at one stage passing through a bit of a chasm before popping out on top of the cliffs. The view from the top of Solomons Throne was once again stunning, I tried to burn it into my memory as I hopped around the rocks checking out as many of the views as I could, directly below me I could see my duck boarded track heading away beside Lake Salome before it disappeared out of sight at Herrods Gate.
Dixons Kingdom Hut.
Cushion Plants on the track down from Jaffa Gate.
Having a rest in the luxurious Dixons Kingdom Hut.
The clouds were starting to build as I descended of Solomons Throne so I thought I'd pick up the pace on the trip back, I managed to get back to Solomons Jewels before the rain started. I reckon I'm one of the hottest men alive, and I mean temperature hot, not Brad Pitt hot, if I have to walk in my rain jacket I risk broiling myself in my own sweat so I have to remove all my layers until I end up walking in thermal underwear and a goretex jacket. Luckily for me there were no small children or old ladies to scare as I continued down to Trappers Hut, having my last break inside the dry hut, I then headed off on the last descent to my car, arriving relieved to find all my windows intact. I was back in Daloraine for dinner with Sam before dark, all in all a great days walking.
The view from Solomons Throne,  my return route can be seen snaking its way down the valley.
On Solomons Throne, the weather is starting to close in a bit.
The chasm I ascended to gain the top of Solomons Throne.
The Dirt
The track up to Mt Jerusalem is well marked and well constructed, once you leave the main route however you quickly get into some remote, wild country. Including the side trip up Solomons Throne I did around 25 kilometres and climbed around 1170 metres for the day, the walk took me around  7 hours including short stops. I used the TASMAP 1:25,000 Walls of Jerusalem National Park map and notes from Day Walks Tasmania by John and Monica Chapman, I was using the first edition and it was walk 30.


Trappers Hut.

Sitting out of the rain in Trappers Hut.


One last look at Lake Salome with King Davids Peak towering above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...