Sunday, July 6, 2014

Daylesford & Sailors Falls - 4th July 2014

I'd been promising Sam a weekend away since her birthday which was six months ago, until now our schedules hadn't allowed it, now with Sam on school holiday's I was able to get a Friday off work so we headed up to Daylesford for a long weekend. The plan was I would do a bit of walking whilst Sam enjoyed some retail therapy, and in between we'd be able to check out some of the local galleries and cafes.
Lake Daylesford.
I'll give the swimming a miss today.

So after a relaxing breakfast Sam dropped me off at Lake Daylesford in the steady rain. With a long day ahead I wondered whether it may have been a better choice to go shopping for the day, but after telling myself to harden up I set of into the gloom.
Central Springs.
No shortage of signs to start the day.
Sailors Creek.
My first objective for the day was Sailors Falls, I would basically follow the valley of Sailors Creek upstream, crossing and re crossing where necessary. The walk is either along fire tracks or walking tracks and provides a fairly easy route , the only inconvenience today was the mud and the occasional need to get across some un-bridged creeks.
Heading along Black Jack Track.
Sailors Falls.
If I'd thought that the weather may improve as the day wore on I was to be proved wrong, by the time I was approaching Sailors Falls visibility was down under 100 metres. Climbing around the falls I got a couple of photos that were OK but soon decided that lunch was calling and headed up to the picnic area that services the falls. Sitting in the shelter I gave Sam a call, she was warm and dry sitting in-front of the fire back at our cottage in Daylesford, hmmm.
The smaller falls at Sailors Falls.



After assuring Sam that I didn't want to get picked up I set of into the rain on the next section, I was heading for an old railway which would take me to Jubilee Lake. Initially I followed a lane between farmland, before heading into the bush as I climbed onto a ridge, the walking was still easy, the only issue was trying to keep my feet dry as I negotiated the flooded tracks. Turning onto an old fire track I was soon descending onto the old railway easement, from here to Jubilee Lake was particularly good walking as I followed the contouring track.









Reaching Jubilee Lake I was pleased to see that I was doing the only bushwalk in Australia with free Wi-Fi, unfortunately I had to tear myself away from that pleasure as by now I was getting a bit cold and wet. Heading down from Jubilee Lake I found myself at Jubilee Lake Road, now my notes said to turn left,cross the creek, and then pick up a small lane within 50 metres, the problem for me was there was no lane. I wasn't keen on walking through someone's yard, so I kept going until I found a way behind the houses that now lined the road and climbed in the general direction of Daylesford Ballan Road, now I got caught at the back fence of those properties. Tracking my way to the north I eventually found an easement were I could get through to the road without tress passing, after all the improvising I popped out onto Daylesford Ballan Road at the exact spot it suggested in the notes.
Don't miss this turn to the left.
Following the old railway easement.
More easy going along the old railway line.
All that was left now was to head back down to Lake Daylesford via the outskirts of Daylesford. Arriving at the lake I gave Sam a call and she quickly picked me up and transported me back to the toasty warm cottage. It had been a long but easy day in the rain but I was now looking forward to warming myself up in front of the fire.
I wouldn't call this a wilderness walk.
Free Wi Fi at Jubilee Lake.
Crossing the old railway bridge near Jubilee Lake wall.
The Dirt.
I walked 20.6 kilometres and climbed 483 metres according to my (romantic?) GPS. I used John Chapman's notes from Day Walks Victoria. The only issue was the short section from Jubilee Lake Road to Daylesford Ballan Road, for the life of me I couldn't find the small vehicle track that he mentions. If in doubt you can just follow Jubilee Lake Road north and then head down Leggatt Street where it turns off Daylesford Ballan Road. This is an easy walk, only the distance of the walk needs to be considered.

Almost finished now, cruising through the back streets of Daylesford.

The finish photo, waiting for Sam to pick me up, Lake Daylesford.


Drying out in front of the fire Red Earth Clay Cottage, Daylesford.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...