Thursday, October 23, 2014

Frenchman Peak, Cape Le Grand National Park - January 2010

Frenchman Peak should not to be confused with its big brother Frenchman's Cap in Tasmania, and while it is nowhere near as serious a walk, it still offers some great views and a bit of a challenge. So, while Sam stayed in the car and caught up with some reading, I headed up the peak.
Something you don't see every day.
Stakes and paint marked the easiest route up the granite slabs.
Initially the track is fairly easy and level as it slowly gains a bit of height through the coastal scrub, after passing a sign post warning of the danger from bees the track starts to climb the slabs of granite. The route across the rock was marked with stakes and paint and while fairly steep it was easily do able, the difficulty was a little more psychological than physical as climbing up the bare slabs accentuated the feeling of exposure. After less than thirty minutes I was on top of the peak scrambling around to check out the view, it was now that the warning about the bees started to mean something. F&*K, have I mentioned that I'm allergic to bee strings, I'm not sure why they liked the top of this bare granite peak but like it they did! So after getting stung a couple of times on my back I made a quick retreat out of bee central and went down to check out the big cave under the summit.
Sam's waiting in the little green car.
The view out to the southern ocean.
It looked like a fire had recently been through the area.
The cave is what had piqued my interest in Frenchman Peak, I'd seen a photo of the cave in 'Wild' magazine years ago, complete with a girl streaking through the shot, so I was imagining a cave full of naked mountain nymphs, just my luck all I got was a cave full of rocks and a few bees. The view however was still pretty good, and I would imagine if the sky was clear my photos would have been a bit better. So after scrambling around the surrounds of the cave for awhile trying to do it photographic justice I decided it was time to head back down to Sam and get a couple of antihistamines into me.
The wind scoured summit rocks.
The cave on top of Frenchman Peak.
No naked mountain nymphs only rocks, just my luck.
The Dirt.
I walked around three kilometres on the climb to the peak, as far as I know there are no guide books that feature the walk, however nothings really necessary as the walk is easy and you can basically see the car park from the whole route. Frenchman Peak is in Cape Le Grand National Park about 100 kilometres to the east of Esperance, the park is worth exploring if your in the area, the beaches are particularly spectacular.

Pleased to have finally checked this place out after many years.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...