Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Haycock Point to Barmouth, Ben Boyd National Park - December 2010

Sam and I were up in Eden a couple of years ago doing the Light to Light walk in Ben Boyd National Park, with an afternoon to spare before we set off on the Light to Light walk I thought I'd go and check out a section of the park to the north of Eden. The Haycock Point to Barmouth walk at around six kilometres sounded like it would fill in the afternoon, so that's how I came to be parking the ute at the carpark and picnic area above Haycock Beach.
From the headland above Haycock Point looking south along the wide expanse of Haycock Beach.
The first point of interst on the short walk was a side trip out onto the rocks at Haycock Point, with the tide being fairly low I was able rock hop out a fair way. The views down the wide expanse of white sand on Haycock Beach looked particularly tempting but I was hoping to find a quieter beach later on  the walk. After scrambling around for awhile I retraced back up onto the headland above the point and took off towards Barmouth.
About as far out on Haycock Point I can go without swimming.
A rough route leads down of the headland.
The next section of track more or less followed the low cliff line, there were plenty of views to the north. The native bush also seemed to provide a perfect home for Eastern Grey Kangaroo's as there were mobs of them. There was also no shortage of Lace Monitors on the walk, although they climbed the nearest tree as soon as I got close, which I suppose is better than them trying to climb up my leg with their massive claws.

Mobs of Eastern Grey Kangaroos on this walk.
A few Lace Monitors as well.
After around half an hour I reached the turn around point at Barmouth Beach on the mouth of the Pambula River, heading back over some slabs of red rock I got to a tiny beach that I had passed above on the walk in. Seeing that the place was deserted I stripped off and enjoyed the water for awhile, we live in a great country where you can find such a pristine little beach between our two most populous cities and find it deserted in the middle of summer.
Barmouth Beach.
The red rock slabs between Barmouth Beach and my little swimming beach.
After drying on the rocks I pulled on my clothes and boots and climbed up onto the outward track, from there it was only thirty minutes back to the car. The only people I bumped into on the walk were in the car park at Haycock Beach.
My little beach.



The Dirt.
I walked around 6 kilometres on this walk and according to the guide book I climbed a massive 35 metres. Speaking of guide books I used John Daly's Take a Walk in Southern New South Wales & the ACT book. The book had an adequate map for such an easy walk. If you want to spend a day at the beach bring water as there is none on the walk.

A few shags.


Haycock Point in the distance.

The little joey didn't look to stressed with my presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...