Thursday, March 23, 2017

Mook Mook Walk, Blackdown Tableland National Park - December 2016

Mimosa Creek.
After walking the Goon Goon Dina Walk I'd returned to the ute that was parked down near Mimosa Creek on the access road. With a few hours of daylight left and a few kilometres left in my old legs I decided to head out on the Mook Mook Walk. This walk promised a fairly easy walk down to a lookout off the edge of the tableland that takes in some long sandstone cliff lines and distant hills. It all sounded pretty cruisey so, with Sam pretty happy to give it a miss I headed off alone down the well manicured track.
Easy walking along here.
As I've mentioned before all the walks that I did up at Blackdown Tableland last year were superbly maintained and this stroll was no different. The walk slowly descended down a wide valley above the almost dry Mimosa Creek along a track that almost looked like someone had cleaned it with a leaf blower. After 15 minutes my route descended to cross the bed of Mimosa Creek in an area littered with car sized sandstone outcrops. Climbing up the far bank I once again found myself wandering through open forest as I continued to slowly drop to the escarpment lookout.


Dropping down to the Mimosa Creek crossing the track passes through an area featuring a lot of these huge sandstone outcrops.
Mimosa Creek was a bit dry and barren on this visit.
Around twenty minutes after leaving the ute I noticed that the ground was dropping away steeply through the trees, sure enough a couple of minutes later I arrived at the lookout. This lookout would be a lot better in the early morning as the huge sandstone cliffs were now shaded which took a bit of the grandeur out of the photos (although I'm not sure how grand my shots would be even under the best conditions:). After walking up and down along the edge of the escarpment a little looking for different angles, I eventually decided that I wasn't going to get a great photo today so decided to head back to the ute. 
Like most of Blackdown Tableland this walk past through predominantly dry open eucalyptus woodland.
I'm thinking this lookout would be a lot better early in the morning rather than late in the afternoon.

Now the climb back up was pretty easy but with this being my fourth easy walk of what had been a hot day I was starting to feel it a bit. Walking into the late afternoon sun at least gave my retrace a bit of a different feel than the walk down. The other point of difference on my walk back was that once above the last waterfall I decided to walk the rest of the way along Mimosa Creek. The creek bed made for great walking and if I wasn't so tired and had a bit more time up my sleeve before dark, the many and varied waterholes would have all required testing. Instead of soaking in the waterholes this afternoon though I concentrated on photographing them instead, although that only really teased me! Filing this spot away in the ever growing, one day I'll come back and explore a bit more file I somewhat reluctantly trudged the last few metres back to Sam and the ute before heading back down off the tableland to our accommodation at Blackwater.
Heading into the late afternoon sun on my walk back up to the ute.
I took to the creek for the last short section back to the ute.
Mimosa Creek.
The Dirt.
This is another easy walk, at 2.7 kilometres and with a meagre 58 metres of climbing it's a walk that could be completed by most people. Apart from a series of stone steps as the track crosses Mimosa Creek there are no real obstacles to negotiated on the walk....although if I had more time then Mimosa Creek would be a great spot to explore a little more. With no published walking notes that I'm aware of I got my somewhat meagre information off the Qld Parks site.
Relavent Posts.

This would be pretty cool after some rain.

Back at the ute after what had been a long, but very rewarding day. I would definitely recommend a visit to Blackdown Tableland National Park if you find yourself in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...