Thursday, April 16, 2020

Buenos Aires, Argentina - January 2008

Bet you didn't know I could tango....?
Way back in 2008 Sam and took our first trip over to Argentina, the main reason for the trip was to take a cruise down to Antarctica out of Ushuaia down in Tierra del Fuego, along with a whistle stop tour of the Argentinian side of Patagonia. On our return trip back to Australia we managed to get a couple of days to ourselves in Buenos Aires.


The Pink Palace.
There was a protest going on today - they don't muck around in Argentina!
Now I can’t really recall everything that Sam and I experienced in Buenos Aires because I was actually crook as dog for the whole time that we were there. My main memory of this visit was a raucous night Sam and I had with our Kiwi mates, Paul and Rachel in a small back street parrilla. It’s a pity that all the alcohol that I drank that night didn’t kill the bug that I was suffering through! Apart from our night at the parrilla we also took time to visit the Pink Palace, La Boca and the Cementerio De La Recoleta.

La Boca
La Boca
La Boca
La Boca
We stayed at the Sheraton in Buenos Aires on this trip. While I can’t recall a lot about my stay there, what I do recall was going down to the pool and being surrounded by people that looked like they’d stepped straight out of the pages of GQ magazine. I’d never seen so many beautiful people in one spot before…needless to say I fitted right in wearing my boardies in the crowd of budgie smugglers!


There are some great parks in Buenos Aires.

The Dirt.
For Sam and I Buenos Aires was an exciting and vibrant city. At the time Argentina was the first developing country that we’d ever visited and we absolutely loved the edgy, slightly out of control feel of this place and it’s people. As I’ve mentioned we stayed at the Sheraton on this visit and it supplied the usual great, if not slightly beige, spot to base ourselves for a couple of nights. I'm not sure what the situation is now days in Buenos Aires however back when we visited it paid to be a bit careful when wandering around some of the neighbourhoods, things could get pretty dodgy once away from the normal tourist strips.

Relevant Posts.
Tierra del Fuego, Argentina, 2008.
El Calafate, Patagonia, Argentina, 2008.



Things were a little rough around the edges away from the popular tourist spots.
Nine lanes - I think I'll cross at the lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...