Sunday, November 8, 2020

Windy Ridge Hut to Lake St Clair, Overland Track - April 2010

The new Windy Ridge Hut (well, it was new for me back in 2010!).


I once again I awoke to fine morning today, however the barometer on my watch was dropping quickly so it looked like a cold front was on its way. Breakfast was eaten admiring The Acropolis out the windows of Windy Ridge Hut, the sun turning the massive cliffs a fiery red. Once again Jess and Julie had decided to walk with me and we were off early as they had to hitch back to Hobart that night, I on the other hand had an appointment at the Derwent Bridge Wilderness Hotel with a big steak!

The view of The Acropolis and Mt Geryon over breakfast as Windy Ridge Hut.

Windy Ridge Hut was very flash.





The walk from Windy Ridge to Lake St Clair is mostly a gentle down hill ramble with no significant climbs, the Overland Track mostly passing through eucalypt forest and crossing wide button grass plains so it made for fast walking. As we got closer to the Narcissus River crossing, big black clouds started to roll in over Mt Gould and The Minotaur and it now became a race to see whether we would make Narcissus Hut before the storm hit. Crossing the swing bridge over Narcissus River the first big drops of rain started, so the last kilometre to the hut was covered at a cracking pace. Almost as soon as we stumbled in the door of the Narcissus Hut the heavens opened.



Once safely dry inside Narcissus Hut Jess got on the hut radio to ask if ask when the ferry would be able to pick us up, and it happened to be that the ferry was just about at the jetty as we spoke. So the packs went back on and we trotted the last 400m down to the ferry in the rain. The trip was coming to a rushed end however I'd been really lucky with the weather so I couldn't really complain. The trip across Lake St Clair was a rough one with white caps on the lake, I was content to sit there in the cabin, nice and dry, and take in the view of the storm rolling across Mt Olympus.


I've just arrived back at the Lake St Clair Visitor Centre and my Overland Track adventure was over. This was another walk that I did before I was putting anything on-line which goes some way to explaining why photos were a bit thin on the ground.







Once back at the visitor centre at Lake St Clair we headed for the café at the Lake St Clair Visitor Centre. After enjoying a coffee and a burger, it was time to say goodbye to my new friends as they had to start hitching back to Hobart, I was a little concerned about them hitching but they insisted that they would be OK. After exchanging email address's and a quick hug they disappeared down the road. Now I was left on my own, the rest of the day involved finding somewhere to stay in Derwent Bridge and getting to the pub for that steak that I had been dreaming about.


My friends Julie (on the left) and Jess enjoying our celebratory meal at the Lake St Clair Visitor Centre.



The Dirt.
I walked around 9.9 kilometres this morning and climbed bugger all, probably less than 20 metres I'm thinking on what was an easy days walking. Over the 6 days of my Overland Track walk I've walked around 87.1 kilometres and climbed about 3440 metres. The camping and hut options today were pretty well limited to Narcissus Hut. Having said that there is a beautiful side trip out to Pine Valley Hut that is best enjoyed over 2 or 3 days that not only allows time for you to climb onto The Acropolis and The Labyrinth but also provides a few camping opportunities as well near the Pine Valley Hut. Water was available fairly frequently again today. The ferry from Narcissus Hut to the Lake St Clair Visitor Centre has to be paid for (I can't remember the cost) and it can be organised by radio from Narcissus Hut. The visitor centre at Lake St Clair not only provides information and supplies but it also has a very nice café. The Derwent Bridge Wilderness Hotel is a great place to enjoy a meal after the walk.


The Overland Track is probably the most well known multi night walk in Australia, if you're after solitude its probably not for you although having said that its an excellent walk through stunning scenery on a surprisingly well graded and easy track. All of the big climbs on the Overland Track are on side tracks and all are worth doing if time, weather and fitness permit. If climbing any of the mountains be aware that some scrambling may be required, during this trip I observed tears on more than one occasion from people on the steeper, airier (is that a word?) sections. I didn't complete the whole track on this walk, the OT finishes at Cynthia Bay via a lake side walking track and adds about 15.8 kilometres  to the walk, if you have the time it is a pleasant walk and the small and rustic Echo Point Hut is particularly photogenic.

Relevant Posts.


I'm tired and smelly however I look pretty content with life!

Waiting for the bus at the Derwent Bridge Hotel. Try and make time to have a meal here when you finish the Overland Track if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...