Sunday, April 11, 2021

Heritage Huts Circuit Walk, Alpine National Park - March 2021

The rain had really brought out the colour in the Snowgums this morning.


I'd originally planned on a fairly long walk out to Kelly and Fitzgerald Huts today, however with around 30mm of rain having fallen overnight and with the rain still falling I figured that spending 5 or 6 hours out in the rain wasn't really something I really wanted to experience today. There was another reason that I bailed on the longer walk, yes somehow I'd managed to come up to Victoria's High Country without any wet weather gear! Luckily Sam had one of her umbrellas in her bag so I was walking today with an umbrella decorated with love hearts, yeah I'm a lover not a fighter!

It looks like social distancing wasn't going to be an issue this morning.


Pulling up at the completely deserted Wallace Hut Car Park this morning I immediately unfurled the umbrella. The rain was light but persistent so I was thinking that the umbrella would not only come in handy keeping me dry but also allow me to take a few photos with my DSLR. Juggling a camera in one hand and the umbrella in the other meant that the trekking poles stayed in the back of the ute this morning. Thankfully there is a small shelter at the Wallace Hut Car Park so I was able to sort myself out without getting too wet. With the umbrella shielding me from most of the rain I dropped down the wide track from the car park to Wallace Hut, the overnight rain accentuating the colours on the Snowgums and the misty cloud adding a bit of atmosphere to the scene. After less than  ten minutes walking the historic Wallace Hut emerged from the gloom, this old hut dates back to 1889 and is now heritage listed. Over the years it's been home to cattleman, SEC workers and bushwalkers however now days staying or camping near the hut is a no go - which is probably a wise decision.

The walk down to Wallace Hut is pretty easy.

Wallace Hut

Snowgums in the mist.







After getting a couple of photos of Wallace Hut in the mist I continued on my walk, now dropping down fairy gently along a section of the Australian Alps Walking Track towards the Langford West Aqueduct. The weather wasn't getting any better so on reaching the aqueduct I didn't muck around much, leaving the AAWT I headed off south-west along the aqueduct towards the Rover Chalet. The Langford West Aqueduct was built to funnel water off the Bogong High Plains into the big Rocky Valley Dam which is used for hydro power among other things. There are a lot of these aqueducts scattered around the high plains and nowadays they can make for some pleasant walking. Splashing my way along the sodden aqueduct it wasn't too long before Rover Chalet emerged from the mist in front of me. Unlike the other huts that I'd pass this morning the flash sounding Rover Chalet is pretty well off limits to the general public (I believe they may have a small refuge room open to the public however don't quote me on that it could be a Feral fact) as it's a private hut looked after by the scouts.


Reaching the Langford West Aqueduct I left the AAWT and headed south-west for awhile.

Without my umbrella there wouldn't have been many photos today.

Rover Chalet - this is a scout hut and isn't open for the public.

Conditions were deteriorating a little now.

Langford West Aqueduct, Alpine National Park.






Continuing on through the murk it wasn't long before I left the Langford West Aqueduct and started climbing a shallow valley up towards Cope Hut. Initially this climb was through low alpine heath and snow grass along a walking track before I intersected with a 4wd track just passed a conveniently positioned bench. Once on the 4wd track I climbed fairy easily up to Cope Hut, my climb enlivened when I met up with some people out on a horse riding tour, judging by the horses reaction they don't see too many colourful umbrellas! After passing by the flash Falls to Hotham Campsite I arrived at Cope Hut, hearing voices once again I didn't go inside today (I've stayed in this hut a few times over the years and it's a very comfortable hut), instead taking a couple of photos from the 4wd track.

I left the 4wd track here and climbed up the walking track towards Cope Hut.

More nice walking, although the ringing wet scrub encroaching the pad had my boots fairly wet after awhile.

Thankfully I had my new trekking umbrella to keep my noggin fairly dry.

Back on a 4wd track and climbing the last few metres up to Cope Hut.

Cope Hut. This old hut is one of the more comfortable in Victoria.


After passing Cope Hut I climbed up to meet the Bogong High Plains Road and re-joined the AAWT. The weather up here was getting a little more serious now with a bit of wind threatening to turn my umbrella inside out and the rain starting to come in sideways. Thankfully after a short section of exposed walking as the track passed over a low hill the AAWT started to descend a long shallow valley and I again got a little bit of protection from the elements. This short section back down along the AAWT to Wallace Hut was the best walking of the day I thought as the shallow valley passed through Snowgums interspersed with small snow plains, the only real issue being the overhanging alpine scrub was soaking my legs, gaiters and boots a little.

Reaching the AAWT again up at the Bogong High Plains Road the conditions were at about the worst that I'd get today.

Dropping down the AAWT towards Wallace Hut again.

Alpine National Park.

Nice walking down the AAWT.

I had some more wet scrub to push through.




Arriving back at Wallace Hut I met up with my horsey mates again as they enjoyed the authentic cattleman's experience as they had smoko at the hut, thankfully the rain had eased off a bit just before I arrived back at the hut so I holstered the umbrella so that I didn't scare the horses...or the cattleman! All that was left to do now was to make the short ten minute climb from Wallace Hut back up to the car park however with the rain holding off for awhile it was a slow walk as I stopped to take a few photos of the Snowgums again. Arriving back at the car park I just had time to pull off my gaiters and gloves and throw them in the back of the ute before the rain arrived again. 

Back down at Wallace Hut again - the conditions had started to improve a bit.

Looking north towards Basalt Hill.

There are some nice snow plains around the Wallace Hut area.






The Dirt.
According to my GPS I walked around 6.4 kilometres and climbed 174 metres on this easy walk. This walk is all along either closed 4wd tracks or walking tracks and utilises the AAWT for a couple of sections. The huts on this walk make it a good option if the weather a little ugly on the High Plains I think. This walk has been written up by numerous walking guide book writers over the years and there is also a lot of stuff on line to check out. I used Glenn Van Der Knijff's notes and map out of his Victoria's Bogong High Plains book today.



Relevant Posts.


Retracing my route up to the car park.

I just got back to the ute before the rain arrived again. At least it wasn't super cold today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...