Thursday, August 25, 2022

Warringine Creek Circuit Walk - July 2022


Warringine Creek Walk.

Apart from a hit and run mission over to South Australia I haven't really done a lot of walking since Sam and I arrived home from North Queensland at the end of May. This weekend was no different in that regard, as it seems apathy has got its claws into me a bit. Still after basically sitting at home for all of Saturday I decided that I'd better get off the couch and do... something! So after an extensive thirty seconds of research on Alltrails I came up with this little stroll down at Hastings on the Mornington Peninsula. After a short 30 minute drive from home I crossed Warringine Creek on Frankston Flinders Road and a couple of seconds later turned up a rough driveway on the west side of the road where I threw the ute into high range 4wd to drive the sloppy track last 100 metres to the un-signposted trail head - no, this isn't one of the worlds great walking destinations! 

The rough track to the trail head was un-signposted and pretty muddy in spots. 

There is room for 4 or 5 vehicles near the start of the walk. 
 
Leaving the ute I passed through a fence line and entered the reserve as I swung west, up stream along Warringine Creek. I actually didn't walk the walking track closest to the creek on my up stream journey, instead I walked a pleasant old 4wd track that ran along the border of the reserve and some flash private properties to the south. With Hendersons Road in view ahead of me I left the 4wd track after a bit over a kilometre, passed through a rough fence and started my return journey along a walking track. 

I swung left through the gate and followed a 4wd track along some fence lines.

The 4wd easement made for pleasant enough walking.

After around 1 kilometre I swung right through a fence and onto a good walking track.

After a short side trip to check out the gently running Warringine Creek I started to slowly meander my way back towards the ute. This walking track made for very easy walking as it meandered along the creek side flats although it never really got close enough to the creek to get any water views. The track did pass beside a wetland along a nice section of boardwalk so there was something in the way of water views I suppose. After passing the wetlands and resisting the temptation to rest for awhile on the concrete sofa I once again found myself back at the ute - less than an hour after setting off.

Warringine Creek is lined by some nice Tea Trees.

Warringine Creek

Nature appeared to be making it's own humpy.



While there are some Tea Trees it's mostly Stringybark and bracken along here.



Indeed

With the sun getting fairly low I was getting a hint of colour through the grey clouds. 


The Dirt.
According to my Alltrails App I walked around 3 kilometres and climbed about 16 metres on this very easy stroll. Obviously this isn't a walk to travel a long way to do however if you live locally it is probably worth checking out, I'm thinking kids might enjoy it too as there are some farm animals along the 4wd track section and the boardwalk might entertain them for a few minute. I used my Allttrails App and my GPS topos this afternoon and as far as I know this walk hasn't been published by any walking guide book authors. 

Relevant Posts.


The boardwalk was arguably the best section on the walk.

The boardwalk skirts this small wetlands.



Eventually I came across the Warringine Creek Humpy...

... which came with it's own outdoor concrete couch nearby. 



Time to head off home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...