Thursday, August 3, 2017

Waterfall Walk, Kosciuszko National Park - May 2017

Sawpit Creek just down stream of the falls.
While Sam and I were up in Thredbo recently I decided to head over the Sawpit Creek day use area and do the short Waterfall Walk. The Sawpit Creek day use area is on the Kosciuszko Road around 14 kilometres up the winding road from Jindabyne. Pulling up at the almost deserted car park in the middle of the afternoon I wasn't really sure what to expect on this stroll, while I've done plenty of walking up in Kosciuszko National Park over the years I've generally always walked near to, or above the tree line, so the scrubby montane forest here was a bit of a novelty for me. After pulling on my boots I set off, immediately passing through an underpass under Kosciuszko Road, the path through concrete culvert not my typical start to a walk.
Not your typical start to a bushwalk.
I had a beautiful afternoon for this stroll.
My walk today basically had me walking up one side of Sawpit Creek to a waterfall and then back  down the other so I didn't envisage any real navigation issues today, and so it was. After passing under Kossi Road my route started the steady climb upstream, the easy climb benched into the side of the hill. With it being late in the day the low sun was doing it's best to enliven the scrappy forest, the odd small snow plain and big granite boulders helping a bit on the scenic front as well. After climbing for half an hour or so I arrived at the waterfall on Sawpit Creek after which the walk is named.
The walk up beside Sawpit Creek crossed a couple of these open snow plains.
Although for the most part this is a forest walk.
Wandering around the lookout and nearby bridge I satisfied my waterfall photography fetish as best I could, although without going totally off piste it was a little hard to get a clear shot of the tumbling Sawpit Creek. Mildly satisfied with my photos I crossed the creek and started my walk back down to the ute, stupidly I'd assumed that the waterfall would have been the high point of the walk but no, instead I found myself climbing... and climbing, high up onto a hill on the north side of Sawpit Creek (actually if I'd bothered to read my notes it would of been fairly clear that I was going to be climbing again, but where's the fun in that?).
The best I could do at Sawpit Falls.
After crossing Sawpit Creek the track climbed.....and climbed.

My return route not only gave me a bit more of a cardio workout that I had assumed but it also had me meandering through some interesting country. The hill was scattered with quite a few very large granite boulders and it's always interesting checking out big rocks. Climbing onto one big outcrop I was even able to spot Jindabyne down on the shore of Lake Jindabyne, way down in the valley. Eventually I tired of exploring the rocks and headed off again, the track now descending fairly quickly back towards the Sawpit Creek day use area. With Koscuiszko Road visible through the trees my route dropped down to cross back over Sawpit Creek again to re-join my outward route, passing back through the culvert another nice little walk was over.
My return journey featured an old favourite.....big rocks.

If you squint you might see Jindabyne way down in the valley.
The late afternoon light always helps the photos a bit.
The Dirt.
This is another easy walk that is within the capabilities of most people. I walked 6.3 kilometres at an average speed of 3.7kph and climbed 208 metres. If you are up around Koscuiszko National Park and the weather prevents you from heading into the higher country then the more protected montane forest around Sawpit Creek is worth checking out, while the waterfall is no giant its still a pleasant enough spot to visit. I used notes out of the Daly's Take A Walk in Kosciuszko National Park along with the topo maps on my GPS for this walk. 
Relevant Posts.






Approaching Kossie Road the walk was as good as over.

The last look at Sawpit Creek, just before I crossed back through the culvert to the car park.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...