Thursday, February 14, 2019

Point Impossible, Breamlea Flora & Fauna Reserve - January 2019

Point Impossible
Finding myself stuck on the opposite side of Melbourne late one afternoon, I was looking for a short walk to eat up an hour or so before attempting the whole cross city drive thing. I’d never heard of this walk before but seeing as my notes suggested that the walk was only around 4.5 kilometres long I figured that I’d drop in and check it out. It turned out finding the start of the walk was the hardest navigational challenge of the day though. I set my Sat Nav for Point Impossible Road, Breamlea and ended up near enough to the start of the walk but stuck on the wrong side of Thompson Creek. After another look at my map and notes I keyed in Impossible Road and after a big loop back inland around the Thompson Creek Wetlands I arrived at my start point, just past the bridge on the dirt Impossible Road beside Thompson Creek.
I started my stroll just over the bridge on Impossible Road next to Thomson Creek.
Locking the ute, I left the small deserted car park and immediately dropped down onto the hard sand beside Thompson Creek, turned right and headed for the ocean. The late afternoon sky was fairly overcast today so my photos are a little ordinary and I really think I would of needed everything going for me to get great photos on this stroll. It was only a few hundred metres along the hard sand beside the creek until I arrived at the ocean, the short stroll featuring an old WW2 concrete gun battlement to check out on the way. The old gun emplacement has been undercut by erosion and doesn’t look the safest spot to explore so I was content this afternoon to photograph it from the outside.
Looking out towards Bass Strait along Thompson Creek. 
The old WW2 gun emplacement.
Arriving on the coast I started a fairly easy rock hop around part of Point Impossible, the rocks and rock shelfs making progress pretty easy even accounting for the fact that the tide was a fair way in. After a few minutes of rock hopping I arrived at one of the access tracks up to the Point Impossible car park and headed up. Unlike a lot of the nearby Surf Coast we are not talking huge cliffs at Point Impossible, the climb from the rocks to the car park probably gaining only five metres I’m thinking.
It was a pretty short and easy rock hop around Point Impossible before I climbed up to the car park.
Once in the Point Impossible car park I picked up the start of the long(ish) distance Surf Coast Walk and headed off west. This section of the Surf Coast Walk has to be the least inspiring section of the SCW walk I’m thinking, as the dirt track headed west bordered on one side by coastal dunes and on the other by Breamlea Flora & Fauna Reserve. Being in the middle of summer the wetlands in the reserve where pretty well dry now so there wasn’t a lot in the way of birds or animals to check out, so I basically just kept plodding my way west until I arrived at the dirt access road for Point Impossible Beach.
The Surf Coast Walk starts (or ends) here.
I'm not sure that this is the most inspiring section of the Surf Coast Walk.
Things were looking pretty dry out over the Breamlea Flora & Fauna Reserve.
Point Impossible Beach is a clothing optional job and after dropping down the beach access track I had a bit of a problem. I was now going to follow the beach back up to Point Impossible and complete the circuit part of this short stroll, however with the tide a long way in the beach was pretty narrow and it was a complete sausage fest, it appears that every middle aged bloke in the area had descended on the beach for a bit of free balling. Now that's all well and good if that’s what floats your boat, but it was going to make it hard to get a family friendly photo of the beach. Somewhat self consciously I snapped a photo from the access track and then had to trudge my way through the crowd as I headed east looking for clear sand. The good news here though was that it appears that my naturalist mates don’t like walking anymore than my 4wd mates as after 500 metres or so the punters had dropped off and I largely had myself a deserted beach.
Dropping down the access track to Point Impossible Beach I had to get a little creative with the photos.
Point Impossible Beach near high tide.
Point Impossible Beach
Point Impossible Beach at high tide meant that I was slogging my way through some fairly soft sand, although with the distance from the beach access track to Point Impossible only around a kilometre it was hardly onerous. Soon enough rocks started to appear on the narrow beach and I was once again approaching Point Impossible. According to my notes Point Impossible is a famous surf break for longboarders although with the choppy conditions this afternoon I had to use a lot of imagination. After a very easy rock hop around Point Impossible I again found myself beside Thompson Creek and retraced my footsteps along the hard sand back to the ute.
Point Impossible Beach
Heading towards Point Impossible. That's Buckleys Bay in the distance, probably named after a certain William Buckley who kicked around here with the local indigenous back in early 1800's for around thirty years.
Point Impossible
The Dirt.
According to the GPS I walked 4.3 kilometres and climbed 56 metres on this easy stroll. I’m thinking that this walk might be better on clear day in winter when Thomson Creek and the wetlands in Breamlea Flora & Fauna Reserve might have a bit more water. The beach section of this walk is also pretty soft although the walk along Thompson Creek was on firm sand. Like I mentioned earlier Point Impossible Beach is clothing optional so if that offends maybe give this walk a miss, it was a little cold for me to strip off and jump in this afternoon….maybe next time? Navigation is all pretty easy on this walk and I got by with my GPS map and the walk notes out of Julie Mundy’s book Best Walks of Geelong, the Bellarine & the Brisbane Ranges.

Relevant Posts.
Easy rock hopping around Point Impossible.
Heading back down Thompson Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...