Thursday, June 24, 2021

Falls Creek Waterfall Walk - March 2021

Falls Creek Waterfall.

This little walk is more a tourist stroll than a bushwalking really - to be honest I'm not even 100% sure that I was meant to walking this track as it's completely un-signposted and utilises one of Falls Creeks many mountain bike tracks. Whatever the case it was a nice little stroll from our hotel in the village after we'd spent a fair chunk of the day in our room waiting for some rain to pass by.


After walking out of the lobby Sam and I turned left and dropped down through the village in the direction of Mt Beauty tonight. I'd done a bit of googling and it appeared that the falls were just below the village so that's the direction we went as we looked for a track or a sign post. On our easy stroll down through the village Sam was lucky enough to be filled in on my various adventures on the mountains lining the valley that were visible from the road - although she may not have shared my enthusiasm! Reaching the Medical Centre near the bottom of the village I spied track heading off into the bush in roughly the direction that I figured that we needed to be going, the only issue was that it was obviously being used as a mountain bike track and I'm not sure whether walking it was allowed or not?

Spion Kopje from Falls Creek - I'd spent a night camped up there a couple of years ago.

Ropers Lookout - across the valley from Falls Creek.

Alpine National Park, Falls Creek.



Anyway, with no mountain bikers around this late on a Sunday Night we decided to head down and check it out. After a few switchbacks we found ourselves below a waste transfer station and at a track junction, this was good because it matched up with the information that I'd managed to gleam off the inter -web. Swinging left we dropped down Packhorse Track, this historic track runs between Howmans Gap and Falls Creek Village and was definitely used as a walking track at times. Packhorse track dropped fairly gently for a few minutes, passing over a couple of decent length boardwalks before it entered a more substantial gully and there was Falls Creek Waterfall - sweet!

This is the track to follow off the Bogong High Plains Road at the bottom of the village.

I passed below the waste transfer station.

There are some nice boardwalks on this very short walk.

This historic track runs between Howman Gap and Falls Creek and has traditionally been used as a walking track - it's definitely being used for mountain biking now however I think walking is still allowed - it's a little unclear though.





There is a nice lookout here almost directly beneath the gushing water and it's a reasonably pretty spot so it kind of makes me wonder why it isn't really signposted, all I can think of is that the resort doesn't really want walkers on the track. With rain threatening again Sam and I kept our time at the falls pretty short tonight, after grabbing a couple of photos we climbed our way back up to emerge onto the Bogong High Plains Road again before climbing back up through the village to our hotel.

Approaching the lookout below Falls Creek Waterfall - this is a pretty nice spot.

Falls Creek Waterfall.

The resort is certainly pouring some money into these tracks.

Our flash digs at the QT at Falls Creek.





The Dirt.
According to my GPS Sam and I walked around 1.9 kilometres and climbed about 44 metres on this very easy walk (and that was from the front door of the QT Hotel). This was is pretty well un-signposted so it required a bit of detective work to find the waterfall and as I've mentioned I'm not 100% sure of the legality of walking on this track so check this place out at your own risk. I couldn't find much in the way of walking notes or maps either on line or in print for this walk - there is a rudimentary map on the Falls Creek website that was of limited use and there is a sentence referring to the walk in Glen Van Der Knijff's book Victoria's Bogong High Plains book that didn't help much either.

Relevant Posts.


This was the first time Sam and I had stayed at the QT at Falls Creek.

We were up-graded to a two bedroom apartment that had a full kitchen.

We also had two bathrooms - one with a full sized bath.

The bed was a little nicer than my Neo Air!

In the snow season you could ski right up to the door.

Yep, life was hard this weekend!


2 comments:

  1. Hi
    Pops up on the shared summer trail map so you're good https://www.fallscreek.com.au/maps/

    ReplyDelete

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...