Thursday, March 21, 2019

Pound Bend, Warrandyte State Park - April 2019

Yarra River at Pound Bend.
I’m getting old, now that might be a statement of the bleeding obvious to anyone who has read my blog. Getting old was bought into sharp focus for me this weekend though as I’d decided to head down to the Otway Ranges for a walk. With the walk a good 3 to 4 hours from home I’d decided to head down after work on Thursday night so I could get an early start on Friday and beat the predicted 37˚ temperatures. All was going good as I motored my way west along the almost deserted highway, it was only as I made my way the last couple of kilometres down to my camping spot in the small hours of Friday morning that I had a nagging doubt creep into the back of my mind…where was my pack? Arriving at the campground a few minutes later a quick search of the ute told me what I already knew, yep my pack was still sitting on a chair beside my front door….fuuuuck!

So, after a few hours sleep over in the Otway Ranges I jumped back into the ute and headed for home, arriving home late on Friday morning. Now that all meant that so far this weekend I’d done a lot of driving but had yet to pull my boots on and do a walk, so when Saturday rolled around I was looking for a walk that wouldn’t require another long drive. With the forecast again for temperatures in the high 30˚’s I was also wanting to walk somewhere with the possibility of a swim. Well, to cut the long, convoluted story short, that’s how I found myself resetting my GPS and setting off along the Yarra River at Pound Bend this morning.
The Pound Bend Car Park was still deserted when I set off this morning.
Parks Vic have a bit of information about how the Wurundjeri People lived from the land around here.
This is another walk that was written up by Tyrone Thomas back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and indeed I had walked it back then. So not having walked here for at least 15 years I was interested how things might of changed. Pound Bend is a bend on the Yarra River that the old gold miners have tunnelled through to divert the river to allow access to the river bed for gold mining. Setting off north along the river bank today the first thing I noticed today was that it appears that all the Koala’s that used to live in the Manna Gums along here have largely gone. I know chlamydia is running rampart in the Koala population so I’m wondering if this is the reason?
There were no Koala's to be seen but lots of other wildlife around to check out.
It's a very well constructed track along the river.
The early morning sun was both a help and a hindrance.
Heading north along the Yarra River.
With no Koala’s out and about I settled on river views to keep me entertained this morning. As I was on my way just after 8am this morning I had the low morning sun working for and against me, the good news was that there was a soft, golden light, the bad news was half the landscape was still deep in the shadows. This track along the river is a nice little walk, with plenty of bridges and boardwalks to ease progress and lots of chances to glimpse the Yarra River and it’s almost gorge like northern bank through the trees.
There are a few bridges spanning the side gullies.
This is as far up stream along the Yarra River I got this morning.
The Yarra River has cut what is almost a gorge around Pound Bend.
I was now looking for the spot to leave the river and climb up onto a ridge and I wasn’t too sure if it would be sign posted. I need not of been concerned though as it looks like the Parks Vic people have formalised this walk since the days when Mr Thomas first wrote it up, there was indeed a sign marking the spot to leave the Yarra River and start climbing, even better there was a clear track to follow as well, how easy is this walking stuff, hey? Back in the day Mr Thomas had the walk following a short stretch of road as it made it’s way past a couple of private properties but now days it’s a sign posted walking track all the way.
This is the spot I climbed away from the river.
I would think that in winter this paddock would be covered in green grass and grazing roos.
The rock on the left marks the site of the first YHA hostel in Australia built here in 1940.
Following the crest of the ridge I picked up a bit of a breeze....
....which was a good thing as it was already baking hot.
After crossing Pound Bend Road I followed the crest of a ridge, initially climbing a bit and passing a water tank before descending down to the tunnel that the old miners cut. Emerging at the Pound Bend entrance road I found the old track down to the entrance to the tunnel and dropped steeply down to check it out. Now I have to say here that it looks like Parks Vic have closed this old track, the start of the track isn’t signposted or marked, but the old track is still there and easy enough to follow and as there were are no signs warning people to stay out, I went down. I’m guessing that Parks Vic aren’t encouraging the punters to head down to the entrance to the tunnel for public liability issues, it’s a steep and loose track with some big exposure and then there is the drowning hazard of the water filled tunnel itself. Having said all that it’s all really a Feral guess.
The tunnel entrance at Pound Bend.
The Yarra River down stream from the entrance to the tunnel, the old miners damed the river here to divert it into the tunnel. The dam has long since been washed away by floods so now the river flows both through the tunnel and down the river bed.
The descent and ascent to and from the tunnel entrance is steep, loose and not maintained. Use your own judgement when it comes to tackling this section of the walk I think.
I did say steep!
After checking out the entrance to the tunnel it was time to check out the exit, this involved a steep climb and descent back over the ridge. The drop back down to the Yarra River made easier by a long staircase. Arriving at the exit of the tunnel I dropped down to check out the down stream side for a few minutes before climbing over to the upstream side. This is a really popular wild swimming spot near Melbourne and there was already a family here enjoying an early morning swim. So really it was a no brainer, dropping my pack I grabbed my water proof camera and waded into the cool fresh water.
My on going walk drop straight off the side of the entrance road.
The descent down to the tunnel exit was made a little easier by a long staircase. 
The tunnel exit.
The best swimming here appears to be straight off the beach and across towards the biggest Manna Gum on the far bank. The water slowly getting deeper and deeper until I was around four metres from the far bank and I was suddenly swimming, well swimming might be an exaggeration but I was swimming as best I could with a camera in one hand and my Teva’s on my feet, after quickly getting swept down river a few metres I decided that I wasn’t going to be able to swim against the current with one hand, so I eased my way back over into the shallow water. Suitably refreshed I emerged to drip dry for awhile before grabbing my pack and walking the last 100 metres or so back to the Pound Bend Car Park. It was only mid morning but my walk was over and while the Yarra River isn’t as exotic as the Otway Ranges I felt that my weekend wasn’t a total loss.
Looking downstream of the tunnel along the Yarra River.
The deepest swimming was out towards the old Manna Gum on the left.
The tunnel at Pond Bend.
The Dirt.
I walked 4.6 kilometres and climbed 160 metres on this easy-medium grade stroll. The only real reason that I’ve got medium in the grade is because of the drop down to the tunnel entrance, you’ll really have to use your own judgement here but it’s not a place for young children or less agile oldies (he say’s, looking nervously in the mirror!) I don’t think. The swimming hole at Pound Bend is a nice spot, there is plenty of shallow water for non swimmers and some deeper water near the far side of the river, however it is a fairly substantial river with a strong current so be careful, there’s no life savers here to pluck anybody out. The exit of the tunnel actually provides for quite a few spa bath sized pools where you can relax and have the rushing water massage your back. I used the old notes and mud map out of the 2001 edition of Tyrone Thomas’ book 40 Bushland & Park Walks In Metropolitan Melbourne this morning and the old notes are still accurate enough to use.

Relevant Posts.
Warrandyte Goldmining Trail, Warrandyte State Park, 2015.
Blue Tongue Bend, Warrandyte State Park, 2016.
Mt Lofty, Warrendyte State Park, 2017.


Looking up stream along the Yarra River from water level at Pound Bend.
It was nice to be able to wash the dust and sweat off before heading home.
The Pound Bend Car Park was a little busier when I returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...