Sunday, August 11, 2019

Richards Camp to Beeripmo Camp via Sugarloaf, Beeripmo Walk, Mt Buangor State Park - July 2019

Raglan Falls.

With a big solo walk up into the Arctic Circle in Sweden getting closer I really needed to give some of my gear a run in the rain. So with my available windows of time ticking away I decided to revisit the Beeripmo Walk over at Mt Buangor State Park. I’ve done this walk a couple of times before and on both previous occasions I’d copped a bit of rain, so with some good rain forecast for this visit I was mildly confident that I’d get to test out my wet weather gear. There was also another reason that I wanted a bit of a shake down walk, yes I’d finally taken the plunge and invested in a Garmin Inreach. Sam tolerates my little, mostly solo adventures for the most part, however she has been very keen on me getting something that would allow at least some minimal communication for awhile now instead of me just using my PLB as a fall back. So after parking the ute at the empty Richards Camp I re-set the GPS, turned on the tracking on my Inreach and headed off.
Richards Camp was deserted when I turned up.
Richards Camp - the Beeripmo Walk heads off on the left of those steps.

This walk is reasonably short but it does involve a little bit climbing, and straight away this afternoon (yep, I’d spent the morning at work, so it wasn’t an alpine start!) I was into it. I was now climbing up a good track which followed Cave Hill Creek upstream. I’m thinking that this was the first time that I’ve really seen Cave Hill Creek flowing and it was nice to see a reasonable flow of water coming down, firstly over Raglan Falls and then a bit higher up Rob Falls. What I could also see today was a decent sized bank of dark, brooding clouds heading my way and just after I shuffled my way across Camp Road the rain arrived.
Initially my walk climbed up beside Cave Hill Creek.
The track builders have done a lot of good work on the Beeripmo Walk.
The photo doesn't really show it but the weather was starting to look decidedly dodgy.
Raglan Falls
Zig Zagging my way up to the top of Raglan Falls.
Away from the gullies the country was still pretty dry.
Rob Falls

So I got to give my wet weather gear a run after all. Pulling on my pack cover and rain gear I once again started shuffling my way upwards. My world now was a fairly one dimensional out of my storm hood, the cloud was now down and for the most part I could only see 50 metres or so. After crossing Mt Cole Road I passed over the 650 metre summit of Cave Hill before my walking track dropped a little bit down towards Cave Hill Road. There are actually a couple of rocky lookouts along this section of the walk, however there would be nothing in the way of views this afternoon.
Shortly after crossing Cave Hill Creek again the rain arrived.
I was looking to give my wet weather gear a run on this walk - that worked out as planned I guess!
Climbing up towards Cave Hill in the cloud.
The country to the west drops off pretty quickly, not that I could see much in the way of views this afternoon.


I was now walking along the western side of a bit of a plateau on a fairly undulating track, the country to my left falling away steeply in spots which promised views on another day. Today though I just kept sloshing my way north, the steeper sections of the track now flowing with water as I climbed steeply up and around the 934 metre Sugarloaf. Once again the topography promised the hope of a view from Sugarloaf but there was no way the cloud and rain would be stopping for awhile, still this is what I wanted so I was pretty happy with life.
Conditions were decidedly damp by now.
The track crosses some huge granite slabs.
It's hard work trying to keep the lens dry in these conditions.
More views of the mist.
The track is well signposted and marked, there are even a few cairns around.

The rock slabs on Sugarloaf did provide an excuse to drop my pack for awhile and take a few more photos. The photographic results with the waterproof camera are always more on the atmospheric side then anything of quality I think, still I don’t lack enthusiasm! After a quick break on Sugarloaf I shouldered the pack again and set off on the last section of this afternoons stroll. Dropping down to Firebreak Track I disturbed a mob of Eastern Grey Kangaroos in the mist as I plodded along this grassy track. Five minutes or so after hitting Firebreak Track the prominent stone toilet at the Beeripmo Walker Camp suddenly materialised out of the mist and the walking part of today’s little adventure was over.

Approaching Sugarloaf Picnic Area.


Beeripmo Walkers Camp is big one, I’m guessing that there are 10 to 15 tent sites scattered through the bush around here along with some tables and fireplaces. After finding a suitable flattish site it was time to get the tent up and get out of the rain. The good news for me today was that all my wet weather gear came through as well as I’d hoped, there is a slim chance I’ll do 450 kilometres up into the Arctic without copping a bit of rain I think. With the rain still coming down tonight it was an early tea and then into the sleeping bag. Now maybe I’m old and boring but the thought of laying in the tent with the rain coming down for 13 hours doesn’t fill me with dread anymore, I look at it as quality down time where I can get a bit of reading done….actually you’re right, I am old and boring!
Climbing up towards Sugarloaf.
Big trees and big rocks are the standout features of this walk I think.
Kangaroos in the mist.

The Dirt.
According to my GPS I walked 10.6 kilometres and climbed 635 metres on this fairly easy days walking. The track today was well signposted and clear so things are pretty good as far as that goes, there is a reasonable amount of climbing involved though, so if climbing isn’t you’re thing then you might find the walk a little harder. The views from the numerous bare granite slabs would normally be a feature of this walk, although I had to make do with my imagination this afternoon. I used the notes and map out out of the House of Chapman’s Bushwalking in Australia book, the book was published back in 2003 but the notes are still accurate. As a bit of a footnote, my Inreach seemed to work well, it seems that even a technophobe like me can work it out!

Relevant Posts.
Langhi Ghiran Visitor Area to Mt Langhi Ghiran via Easter Track, Langhi Ghiran State Park, 2018.
Mt Langhi Ghiran to Langhi Ghiran Visitor Area via Link Track, Langhi Ghiran State Park, 2018.


Approaching Beeripmo Camp along Firebreak Track.
It's a good set up at Beeripmo Camp.
Settling in for a long, damp night at Beeripmo Camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...