Thursday, January 14, 2021

Gardiners Creek, Blackburn Lake Walk - November 2020

Conditions were a little grey and dreary at Blackburn Lake this morning.

Although maybe not quite this grey.




I awoke this morning to another cold grey Corona Saturday creeping under my door (thanks Tex). Grabbing my walking gear I slid into the ute and set the GPS for Blackburn. I was walking the fourth instalment of my Gardiners Creek Corona Walks this morning and this one was really stretching my bubble. After grabbing a coffee along the way I was still sipping it when I pulled into the dirt car park on Albion Road, yes another down side to the 25 kilometre travel bubble was that I didn't really get time to finish my coffee before arriving at the trail head - much less eat my toasties! Yes I know... a first world problem if ever there was one!


Heading off from the car park on Albion Road on another cold grey Saturday morning.






With the occasional light shower passing by, I re-set the GPS and set off into the early morning gloom. I started this stroll at the point where Middleborough Road crossed Gardiners Creek and set off up stream along the north bank. According to some signage I was following the Whitehorse Artists Trail although to be honest this section of the walk along Gardiners Creek was pretty informal and lacking when it came to signposting. While signposting was pretty low key the tracks themselves were good and well defined, I just had to make sure that I didn't deviate too far from the creek and everything was pretty good, the only spot that was a little confusing was where I passed through a small playground / suburban park where I had to make sue I picked up the correct continuation of my stroll.


I started my stroll where Middleborough Road crossed Gardiners Creek.

I was walking sections of the Whitehorse Artists' Trail this morning.

This short section through the children's playground was probably the toughest navigation on my outward journey.

At times I was walking along the back fences of the local houses.

Gardiners Creek, Blackburn.




My route along the north side of Gardiners Creek was a little on the skinny side at times with the local houses crowding right down into my little valley in spots, although the track itself was still pretty pleasant. After crossing over Pakenham Street and Main Street my pleasant creek side walk suddenly came to an end and I was deposited into the suburbs on the very quiet Furness Street which I followed to emerge onto Blackburn Road. This section of the walk is really a snap shot into an upper middle class Melbourne suburb, albeit a deserted one at this hour on a Saturday morning. Turning right onto Blackburn Road I almost immediately turned left onto Alandale Road which I followed for ten minutes before I turned right down Lake Road which I dropped down to cross Gardiners Creek at the Blackburn Lake outlet where I re-entered the bush again...phew!

There must have once been some pretty large trees in this valley back in the day.

Most of my 2020 Corona walks are heavy on the Wattle.

While the houses weren't far away they were generally well screened by the bush.

Eventually the track along the north side of the creek needed and I was deposited onto Furness Street.

After turning right down Blackburn Road for a couple of minutes I swung left onto Allandale Road.

Reaching Lake Road I dropped down to Blackburn Lake.





Now I was back in the bush again I started a anti-clockwise circuit of the little Blackburn Lake. The tracks in this little reserve are well defined and sign posted although really navigation wasn't too much of an issue as I just kept the lake on my left. The good news for me now was that any of the lingering overnight showers now seemed to have passed on so I was pretty well walking under a grey, but dry sky now. The other good thing was that as it was so early most of the waterbirds on the lake were still pretty calm so I was able to get a few photos.


Early morning at Blackburn Lake.

Swooping season is over for this year... I've copped a few hits on my bike though.

The main circuit track around Blackburn Lake is well defined and sign posted.

Things feel way more remote than they actually are here.

Crossing the inlet creek. Blackburn Lake forms the catchment for Gardiners Creek.

There is a small wetland at the eastern end of the lake.

There are some nice little boardwalks along the northern shore of Blackburn Lake.





After crossing the lake inlet I continued on around the north side of Blackburn Lake. There are a few divisions along the north side of the lake where it was possible to drop down to the water on short boardwalks and they were all worth the fairly minimal extra effort required. Blackburn Lake was created back in 1889 when Gradiners Creek was dammed, and it was declared a sanctuary in 1965 after many years of local activism. Now days we can be thankful for those early activists as this little reserve is an oasis of peaceful bush in Melbourne's leafy eastern suburbs... and in these Corona times it was great for my mental health.

Blackburn Lake

Blackburn Lake

It's worth taking a couple of minutes to drop down these short side tracks to the lake shore.

Blackburn Lake

The bush was still looking pretty good after some good winter and spring rains.

Blackburn Lake Sanctuary

Blackburn Lake





With the grey clouds threatening to break apart to reveal a beautiful blue sky morning I finished off my lakeside stroll by checking out a few more view points. Having basically walked the length of Gardiners Creek during these Corona lockdowns I have to say that the further away from the Yarra River that I got along Gardiners Creek, the better the scenery became and the more at home I felt. 


 
This bloke was keeping a close eye on the Feral interloper! 


Blackburn Lake

I really miss being able to just drop into a town to grab a coffee or check out a gallery, I'm really hoping that this Corona crap is just a blip in time.

I took the hint and started to slowly shuffle my way back to the ute.

Now this is really a sign of these Corona times - well in Melbourne anyway, I'm not sure what's happening around the rest of the country or the world?

Back in the suburban streets the walking actually wasn't too bad really.




Leaving Blackburn Lake I retraced my way through the still quiet suburban streets, where on reaching Blackburn Road I swung left, crossed Gardiners Creek and then immediately turned right along Heath Street. With the sun now well and truly poking through the grey clouds I picked up what I think is the start of the Gardiners Creek Trail and set of back towards the ute. The track back to Albion Road along the south bank has fewer suburban houses encroaching on it for the most part with the surrounding suburbs buffered by some suburban playgrounds, ovals and schools and once again made for a pleasant stroll. Around thirty minutes after setting off along Gardiners Creek Trail I arrived back at the ute, jumped in  and slowly made my through the early morning traffic back home. While not quite having that euphoric feeling that I get when I've just completed a good walk, I was happy enough - which I suppose is a good thing in the middle off a global pandemic.


Gardiners Creek

Melbournes eastern suburbs are generally pretty leafy.

I picked up the track on the right which may (or may not?) be the start of the Gardiners Creek Trail.

The reserve of bushland reserve on the south side of Gardiners Creek is a little wider generally so it felt a little wilder.

Choices - I stayed close to the creek while keeping on the south bank.

It was a cracker of a morning now.



The Dirt.
According to my GPS I walked around 7 kilometres and climbed about 68 metres on this mornings easy stroll. This was one of the better of my Gardiners Creek walks I think (although the first one in Kooyong was interesting in it's own way too), as a rule the walks got better the further from the city I got. There are many different route options for this walk and as usual I wasn't that anal about following my notes exactly, it's easy enough to follow the path that interests you most and you really shouldn't get lost. I used Tyrone Thomas' notes out of his old book 40 Bushland & Park Walks In Metropolitan Melbourne along with my GPS topos - Google maps will get you through though.

Relevant Posts. 



The wildlife was yet to be molested by the local dogs at this early hour.

Gardiners Creek, Blackburn.

Blue Stones near Middleborough Road. It's a pity about the rough cement job.

This one sums up how I'm feeling at the moment - in an arty Blogger wanker way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...