Thursday, December 24, 2020

Frankston Reservoir Circuit Walk, Frankston Nature Conservation Reserve - November 2020

The Circuit Walk part of the stroll was mostly along 4wd tracks.


My Corona Walks Program has continued to throw up some interesting walking options... and when I say interesting I mean places that I'd never considered going for a walk before... and generally that wasn't because I was missing these hidden gems, no it was more that these little parks, whilst being nice enough are really a little on the mundane side. So this afternoon I continued my descent into mediocracy and made the fifteen minute journey from home to visit the mildly popular Frankston Nature Conservation Park. 


Leaving the car park I dropped down this un-signposted track below the dam wall.


Pulling up in the nearly empty car park under threatening grey skies wasn't doing wonders for my flagging Feral Mojo either. Not to be deterred (there are only so You Tube videos and maps that I can stare at wistfully whilst dreaming of distant adventures!) I grabbed my pack, re-set my GPS and shuffled my way off into the afternoon gloom. The very (very) basic map that I had printed out had me start the walk by dropping down and crossing Sweetwater Creek below the dam wall. Oh yeah, this is yet another walk around a small reservoir. Once past the dam wall I'd circumnavigate the reservoir in an anti-clockwise direction, sounds easy enough.


Once below the dam wall I went right at this fork.


After climbing up to the western side of the reservoir I picked up the signposted Reservoir Circuit Trail and basically followed the park perimeter fence for the best part of the next hour. Actually it wasn't as bad as that all sounds as for some of the distance the perimeter fence was a far enough away that it was hidden by the bush. Initially I got a couple of glimpses through the trees down to the reservoir, however apart from those occasional water views it was really just the fact that I was out enjoying the Australian bush which kept me in a reasonable headspace today, being early November in Melbourne the heathland and Wattles were putting on a fairly colourful show. 


Once I was up on thew western side of the dam I picked up the signposted Circuit Track.

The grey sky this afternoon was doing it's best to suck any of my remaining mojo away!

I got a few glimpses down to the reservoir through the trees.

Circuit Track.





Reaching the southern end of my stroll my route climbed up to what I guess was the highest point of the stroll. Stopping to get my breath back as I slogged my way up hill beside the perimeter fence I turned to see a pretty reasonable view across Port Phillip Bay towards the buildings in the Melbourne CBD, appearing to be so close however definitely beyond my Corona bubble! I was starting to get a little bored with the Reservoir Circuit Trail by now and had been eyeing some un-named tracks on my map that appeared to track a little closer to the reservoir, although with bugger all detail on my map I was thinking that I'd have to freelance a bit when it came to navigation though. Arriving at one of the entrance gates to the park a few minutes later not only did I find a sign post but also a little map and after a quick study it appeared that my cunning plan to drop down and walk the bush closer to the water was a goer.


Reaching the southern end of the walk I had my only decent climb of the walk.

Stopping at the top of my climb I glanced over my shoulder and got this nice view across Port Phillip Bay towards the Melbourne CBD.

All right... time for a few detours.

Flowering Wattles on Circuit Track.




Ten minutes later I left the Reservoir Circuit Trail and dropped down to the left along the more minor Peppermint Track for a few minutes before intersecting with Kookaburra Track and turning right. The Kookaburra Track section of this walk was easily the best walking of the afternoon as I meandered my way through the bush back towards the dam wall. There were some surprisingly lush and thick sections of scrub along here and it was almost possible to imagine that I was a little more remote than I actually was. After twenty minutes or so the Kookaburra Track met up with the Reservoir Circuit Trail again pretty well at the lookout above the dam wall. If it wasn't such a shitty grey day the view from here, down across the reservoir would of been a pretty nice one. My heart wasn't really in it this afternoon though, so after making a fairly desultory attempt at photographing the reservoir I trudged the last few metres back to the ute and set off home... time to break out those maps and crank up You Tube again!


Leaving Circuit Track I dropped down Peppermint Track...

... and picked up the nice Kookaburra Track.

The bush along Kookaburra Track was surprisingly lush and thick in spots.

Kookaburra Track climbing to re-join the Circuit Track.


The Dirt.
According to my GPS I walked around 5.4 kilometres and climbed around 69 metres on what is an easy walk. This walk is all on either 4wd tracks or walking tracks and most are signposted. I found this walk on the Alltrails website and it was an OK stroll, although I deviated off the Alltrail route a little to walk Kookaburra Track which was much better. If I go back to this little park I'd walk Heathland and then Kookaburra Tracks to make a loop that would be a similar length but make for a much better walk I think. For anyone who lives locally and wants a pleasant enough stroll then this is one to consider, for people that live a bit further way then I'd give it a miss. 


Relevant Posts.


Frankston Reservoir from the lookout above the dam wall.

There is plenty of parking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...