Thursday, March 3, 2022

Burnett Heads to Bargara Beach, Coral Coast Trail, Mon Repos Conservation Park - December 2021


Nice walking in the Mon Repos Conservation Park.

With Cyclone Seth brewing just off shore my Christmas walking plans had to be altered a little. Originally I'd planned on ducking down the the Sunshine Coast and walking the Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk, however with some big dumps of rain predicted I decided to stay put at the in-laws place near Bundaberg for a couple of days. Not wanting to totally sloth out on the couch I consulted Alltrails and found a walk nearby that sounded like it would keep me amused for a few hours. So that's how I found myself waving goodbye to Sam from the small Gormon Park in Burnett Heads as she headed off in the ute. Unlike the Alltrail walk I'd decided to start at this little park as the shipping beacon a couple of minutes away on the south side of the Burnett River Heads, which seemed like a reasonable landmark to start the day's adventure.

Sam dropped me off at the quiet Gorman Park in Burnett Heads.

I followed this grassy track out to the shipping beacon at the Burnett River Heads.

The shipping beacon is a fairly low key type of structure - although the whole walk is fairly low key really.

Two minutes into my walk this morning, before I'd even got to the shipping beacon and I was straight into a man versus wild animal encounter when a big Carpet Python crossed the path and headed into the longer grass beside me. Now normally I would of ducked off into the long grass to get a photo of the serpent however there was an issue this morning, yes there were kids everywhere and I didn't think it would be responsible of me have a group of kids follow me into the long grass (yes, I even surprised myself at that responsible call!). Once at the Burnett River Heads I swung south-east and shuffled off towards my destination in Bargara. Initially the path was gravel as I made my way through South Head Parklands before I picked up the sealed Coral Coast Trail running south along the coast between some Pandanus and Sheoak Trees.

Burnett River Heads.

Leaving the beacon the track was fairly rough for a little while.

Most of the waterline today was lined with these black volcanic rocks. 

Burnett Heads.

Once on the sealed Coral Coast Trail (sometimes called the Turtle Trail) it was just a matter of shuffling my way south into the wind (remember there was a cyclone off the coast). The trail itself now stayed within sight of the water all the way down to the Mon Repos Conservation Park, passing the tiny Oaks Beach along the way. Now Oaks Beach is interesting not for it's size or even it's scenic beauty, it's notable as one of only a couple of places along this coastline where you can actually easily access the ocean, for the most part my walk south was along very low grassy coastal cliffs with the shore lined with black volcanic rocks. Queensland have obviously got a good tourism PR team as for a state that dines out on their beaches for the most part they are pretty crap really - you want good beaches in Australia go to Western Australia.

Heading south through the Casuarinas on the Coral Coast Trail.

The small Oaks Beach.



Easy going on the Coral Coast Trail.

The Coral Coast Trail is well marked and sign posted.

With the cyclone brewing up off shore the humidity was ramped up a bit today.

Reaching the gate into the Mon Repos Conservation Park I was suddenly back in somewhat familiar territory as I'd spent a night watching Loggerhead Turtles laying their eggs here many years ago. The Mon Repos section of the walk was the best bit I thought as the surrounding houses were pushed back a bit further from the coast. The trail through Mon Repos started off along the shore however it soon headed inland a little and tracked south behind the first line of coastal dunes, the beach was never more than a couple minute side trip away though. After passing through the deserted visitor centre at Mon Repos I took to the beach for awhile as I bypassed the Turtle Sands Caravan Park - if anyone wants to swim on this stroll then the Mon Repos Conservation Park beaches are easily the best I think. 

Approaching Mon Repos I started to see a few sections of sand.



The Coral Coast Trail (now sometimes called the Turtle Trail) mostly ran behind the first line of dunes as I made my way south through the Mon Repos Conservation Park... 

... the beach itself was only ever a short side track away...

... and it's probably the best beach of the walk.

I passed through the Mon Repos Visitor Centre - this place is normally empty during the day however in the Loggerhead Turtle egg laying season it fires up at night with crowds here until the early hours hours of the morning on some nights.

After leaving the visitor centre I skirted the edge of the Turtle Sands Caravan park before...

... walking the Mon Repos Beach for a short section. 

Leaving the beach I once again picked up the sealed Coral Coast Trail, although now the trail stayed a little bit away from the coast for awhile as I passed through some salt marshes and wetlands. Emerging from the bush I suddenly found myself on the outskirts of Bargara, this sleepy coastal town has now well and truly been noticed by the white shoed brigade and is being developed to within an inch of its life. For the next couple of kilometres I shuffled my way south beside an increasing number of high rises and holiday rentals. Arriving at Bargara I avoided the main café strip and wandered on down the coast for another few minutes, finishing the walk at the small Bill Fritz Park where there was plenty of parking for Sam to come and pick me up.

Back on the Coral Coast Trail after leaving the beach the track crossed these salt flats.

Old man Paperbark looked pretty gnarly.

Nielson Park Beach.



Heading towards Bargara - the white shoed developers have well and truly discovered this section. of coast.

The Dirt.
According to my GPS I walked around 10.4 kilometres and climbed about 215 (once again that seems highly optimistic!) metres on what I''d call an easy-medium grade walk. This path actually extends a bit further south down the coast however to be honest it would be better as bike ride than a walk if you wanted to push on too far as the hard surface can get a bit tiring on feet. The local Bundaberg council has some free stuff online about this stroll. Until I reached Bargara I didn't see any easy options to buy a drink or a feed, although there may have been something in one of the caravan parks just off the path that I passed by. This walk was a mash up of an Alltrails walk mixed in with a bit of freelancing using my GPS Topos. 

Relevant Posts. 


Promenading in Bargara.

Bargara Beach.

Apparently there is hope for me yet! 

3 comments:

  1. I'll give them a ring, wonder how long it will be before the word donation comes into the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not long I'm guessing - I'm beyond redemption anyway though!

      Delete
    2. I expect in Bundaberg there is a long queue of sinners needing redemption.

      Delete

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...