Sunday, May 31, 2020

Desert Discovery Daywalk, Little Desert National Park - March 2020

Little Desert National Park.

Just before we all got locked down due to the Corona Virus I indulged in a bit of a walking binge and one of those trips was up to an old favourite - Little Desert National Park. Now as I'm typing this up after the lockdown has come into effect I'm not sure when I'm actually going to be able to head up to Victoria's Mallee country again, however the way things are looking in other spots around the world at the moment it's going to be quite awhile. Yes, I don't think I could quite justify a five hour drive just for exercise! So anyway I was pretty keen to make the most of what was a stunning looking morning today.


Heading out from Kiata first thing this morning.

This morning I left the Kiata Campground and headed off south for five minutes or so before branching right onto the long(ish) distance Desert Discovery Walking Track. I've walked the Desert Discovery Walk (DDW)  a couple of times before so I had a fair idea of what was coming up first thing this morning. The DDW initially heads through some fairly thick, heathy scrub as it makes it's way to the south west to gently climb onto a low ridge that runs north south through the park. The scrub through here has actually grown quite a lot since my last visit a few years ago and sometimes this morning I was walking through a bit of a tunnel of vegetation as the track meandered my way across towards the ridge.


I love the early morning light up here.
I veered right onto the Desert Discovery Walk (DDW) here, I'd return from the left in a few hours.
Following the DDW through the desert scrub.
I was heading towards that low ridge.
In my experience I found that Dirt Bikes illegally using the walking tracks are a real pain in the arse up here.
Around an hour and a half after leaving the ute this morning I spied the trig point poking out above the scrub in the distance, climbing up onto the small lookout platform beside the trig it was time for smoko. As far as long range lookouts goes this is about it in Little Desert and while the ridge and trig are only 221 metres high (at the highest point) the surrounding flat, semi arid land means that the view is surprisingly long ranging. The views south towards the brooding cliffs of Mt Arapiles drawing my eye this morning. The lookout also gave me a chance to take a bit of a bearing off some cleared rural land in the distance, this was reasonably important as I was shortly going to be heading off track for awhile.


Early morning on the DDW.
The DDW.
The DDW.
Have I ever mentioned that I'm quite partial to Grass Trees.
The trig has just come into view.
After a nice break at the lookout I left the DDW and dropped down an old 4wd track to the north east to meet up with the major Salt Lake Track. With Salt Lake Track being open to vehicles I wasn't overly keen to walk it this morning, so I'd decided to cut across country from here it intersect with the DDW again south of Albrechts Mill Site. This next section is completely off track and being Mallee country there isn't a lot of landmarks to aid navigation, thankfully the scrub isn't overly thick although it is a little thicker than the last time a came through here many years ago. The go here (well for me anyway) was once I hit Salt Lake Track I followed it north for couple of minutes onto a slight sandy rise. Once on the gentle rise I veered off the track and struck out on a north west bearing, I was lucky(?) in that the low morning sun in my face meant that it was pretty easy to keep pretty well on the right bearing. The first time I came through here years ago a fire had knocked things down a bit however now days there are a few belts of thicker scrub that I had to work my way through, however so long as I kept the sun ahead of me slightly to the right I was going OK.


The lookout at the trig makes a nice spot for a break.
The view west from the lookout.
I was using the cleared land in the distance to take a bearing that would get me back onto the DDW later.
Mt Arapiles rising from the plains to the south.
There's a wind farm up here now.
After leaving the lookout at the Trig I followed this old 4wd down to meet Salt Lake Track.
Salt Lake Track
Salt Lake Track is a soft and sandy 4wd track.
After twenty minutes or so of picking my way through the Mallee scrub I spied the reassuring sight of the sandy DDW through the trees ahead of me and the adventurous (best) part of today's little adventure was safely completed. Turning left I now followed the sandy DDW north as I headed up to Albrechts Mill Site, the open and clear track making for very easy walking after my short off piste section. Arriving at Albrechts Mill Site I checked out the old pump and dam, Fred and Ted Albrecht run sheep here back in the 1930's. Now days the old mill site makes for a nice spot to sit at the picnic table for awhile and quietly watch the animals come in for a drink, the birds flittering around being particularly entertaining.


After following Salt Lake Track for a few minutes I waded into the scrub.
For the most part the going was pretty good - as far as off piste walking goes anyway.
There was some open sections...
....and then there was some scrubbier sections.
It probably looks worse in a photo than it really is I think.
Hey, hey, I've just spied the DDW through the trees.
Suitably refreshed and refuelled after my stop I grabbed my pack and set off north again on the last section of the walk. I was once again following a section of the DDW as I made my way north towards Kiata. This section of the DDW gets progressively better the closer it gets towards Kiata I think, the Mallee Trees giving way to Stringybarks and then finally Yellowgums as I approached the camp ground. Around 40 minutes after leaving Albrechts Mill I spied the ute in the distance and my morning's walk was over, it was time to head home and settle in for some uncertain times.


Easy going now I'm back on the DDW.
Albrechts Mill
The old bore at Albrechts Mill.
The other old bore at Albrechts Mill - my legs copped a little abuse on the short scrub bash section.

The Dirt.
I walked 11.6 kilometres and climbed 110 metres on what I'd call a medium grade stroll. Now while there is very little climbing involved on this stroll there are a few things to be aware of, the first is that while things are fairly flat the tracks can be pretty soft and sandy, it's not super tough however it's still a little harder than walking on a normal track. The other thing to be aware of is that the walk as I did it requires just under a kilometre off track through heathy Mallee scrub, once again it's not super hard however you will need to navigate off a bearing - you don't want to head too far east and miss the DDW to the south otherwise you'll be in for a long walk in the desert! All that said it's easily possible to avoid the off piste section by just following the Salt Lake Track north and then cutting east along PumpJack Track to meet the DDW at Albrects Mill Site. This walk has been published by Glenn Tempest in his Daywalks Around Victoria book and I recommend it.

Relevant Post.
Desert Discovery Walk, Little Desert National Park, 2016.
Mt Arapiles Circuit, Mt Arapiles-Tooan State Park, 2018.



Little Desert National Park

Nice walking on the DDW again.
Back at my track junction south of Kiata.
Arriving back at Kiata - it was time to head home after another nice walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...