Sunday, June 18, 2023

Suckling Track to Whisky Track, Lerderderg Track, Lerderderg State Park - January 2023

The quiet 4wd Track walking continued this morning.

I followed Toe Rag Track for awhile - quite appropriate really.

Morning smoko was enjoyed down near the headwaters of the Werribee River.

Wombat State Forest.

At around 900 metres the historic Balt Camp was the walks high point.

There are some introduced trees near Balt Camp.

After leaving Balt Camp the Lerderderg Track started a long descent down to meet the Lerderderg River.

The Wombat State Park sections of the walk are normally more gentle than the Lerderderg State Park sections - although it still has it's moments!

Making the most of what views that I could get.

The last section of the walk into the Garden of St Erth was along an old water race.

I followed the mtb route into Blackwood as the walking track was closed.

The Feral Walker highly recommend a stop at the Post Office Cafe in Blackwood - especially if you are cranking out a 40 kilometre day!

Hiker trash indeed.

After leaving Blackwood I entered the Lerderderg State Park along Byers Back Track.

Byers Back Track.

A splash of colour in Lerderderg State Park.

Climbing Kangaroo Track in the early evening.

I camped just off Whisky Track tonight.

Yes, I'm reading for bed... 40 kilometres is a solid day for a fat, old blokešŸ˜‰

The Dirt.
According to my AllTrails app I walked around 40.5 kilometres and climbed about 1022 metres on this hard day out. The Wombat State Forest section is slightly easier than the Lerderderg State Park section for the most part. The route into Blackwood along the Lerderderg River has been badly affected by wind storms and a fair bit of the track now appears to follow Lerderderg Road. Also the last section into Blackwood from the Garden of St Erth was also closed so I followed the bike route into town. The AllTrails route wasn't very accurate along the Byers Back Track section in Lerderderg State Park - it almost looked like a GPS had been flown down the gorge on a drone as the the GPX route was almost a straight line whereas the real track weaves in and out of numerous gullies. Leaving the Lerderderg River I climbed Websters Track - the old AllTrails route still shows the track going up Amblers Lane. The camp I used on Whisky Track is basic with no facilities or water, I carried water up from the Lerderderg River. Blackwood has a good pub (I was too early for a meal) and a great cafe called the Post Office Cafe - both good on a long day. I used my AllTrails app along with the Lerderderg Track topo map today.


Relevant Posts.

YouTube Video.



This was a big day out for mešŸ˜‚

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...