Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Dutchmans Stern Circuit Walk, Dutchmans Stern Conservation Park - December 2022

I was off to an early start this morning to beat the heat.

Climbing towards Dutchmans Stern.

The view north from The Terraces towards Warren Gorge.

The Terraces.

The Terraces made for a good spot for a break on the climb.

The climb to the summit was fairly long, however it was also extremely well graded so the walking was never too hard.

The view south from the summit towards Port Augusta.

I think that flat terrace just below the summit might be a camp for me when I eventually get around to walking the Heysen Trail in a few years.

I'm heading that way next.



The descent was along another great section of track.



In one spot the track contoured along the sides of a fairly substantial gorge.

The view down the gorge and out towards Quorn.


The roof tops in Quorn were glinting in the middle distance.

Dropping down the good track to the trail head.

The Roos were enjoying any shade they could get...

I was ready to climb into the ute and fire up the AC about now.

The Dirt.
According to AllTrails is walked around 10.9 kilometres and climbed about 450 metres on what I'd call a medium grade stroll. Once again I need to throw out all the caveats regarding walking in the desert in summer - go early or late and consider your fitness, ability and the grade of the walk. Walking this walk anti clockwise got the steepest climb out of the way in the cool of the morning and left a fairly long and gentle descent for later in the morning when things were heating up a fair bit. There is a well signposted and benched track for the length of the walk although there are no other facilities - so bring plenty of water. I used an AllTrails map this morning.

Relevant Posts.

YouTube Video.


I'm glad I headed out early on this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...