Sunday, March 19, 2023

Mt Abrupt & Signal Peak Walk, Grampians National Park - October 2022

Brekky up on Mt Abrupt this morning was...memorable! 

Ok, I'm writing this post up in early October 2022 and I'm thinking that it won't be published until sometime in early 2023...Yes, I can hear everyone say 'so what!' Well, the thing is there are going to be some changes with my online platforms. Yes, I'm trying to cut down on the time I spend blogging so I can actually get out and do a little more walking and I'm planning on swinging over to vlogging on YouTube and this is the pilot effort. 

The rough plan is that I'll still publish a walk on my blog, although I'll be cutting down on the writing and the numbers of photos I publish. Also I'll be publishing the same walk on YouTube (maybe slightly ahead of the blog) and then linking the YouTube video on my blog. I have considered uploading the video's straight onto the blog, however it's going to cost me too much in online data fees (and this little hobby already costs me money!).

As I'm writing this the exact details are still evolving a bit... and I'm thinking that when I do start publishing vlogs they will continue to evolve well into the future. Now for any of my regular or semi regular readers who enjoy this content then I ask for one favour - could you please subscribe to my YouTube Chanel (it's free) and click on the bell icon to get notification when I publish a video - believe it or not that will help me keep these walks coming. 

I was on the track by around 5:30am this morning - after a 1:30am start from home😎

Climbing to meet the GPT on the ridge the conditions didn't look that promising really. 

I was enjoying a bit of light and misty rain first up this morning.

On reaching the ridge line I swung south along the GPT towards Mt Abrupt. 

The sun was up and trying to make an appearance. 



Hmmm... I got lucky again this morning. 


The cloud was creeping over the Serra Range into the Victoria Valley. 

Mt Abrupt

Up on Mt Abrupt - my next objective is Signal Peak (over my right shoulder).

Mt Abrupt views. 

Back on the GPT and heading for Signal Peak I dropped back into the cloud for awhile.

This section of the GPT over to Signal Park used to be just a rough route... not anymore though.

Signal Peak is a short side trip off the GPT.

Looking back towards Mt Abrupt from Signal Peak.

I enjoyed my second brekky up on Signal Peak. 

Looking north along the Serra Range.

Dropping back down to the ute the views continued. 

This Little Rock Wallaby hung around long enough to get a photo. 

Dropping back down the GPT.

Mt Abrupt (on the left).

Dropping back down to the Mt Abrupt car park. 

After three years of good rain the bush is looking sensational at the moment. 

The Dirt.
According to my AllTrails App I walked around 10.8 kilometres and climbed about 622 metres (the map below is a screen shot off AllTrails - it's not my map) on what I'd call a medium grade walk.  The walk features a solid climb up onto a ridge line and then a walk south and then north on the ridge along the Grampians Peaks Trail. As you would expect the track engineering is pretty amazing on the GPT sections. I just used my AllTrails map this morning as the tracks are all well signposted and defined.

Relevant Posts.


YouTube Video.


To save a little more of my time I'm going to publish a screen shot of my AllTrails map from now on. If anyone wants an interactive (and down loadable) version of this map then look me up on AllTrails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...