Saturday, May 6, 2023

Devil's Peak Walk - December 2022


This walk starts just past the Elephant Dam....!

It all looks pretty reasonable from the car park.

The walk starts off pretty easily...

... before starting to climb in earnest through increasingly rocky terrain.



Devil's Peak Walk.

I climbed this rocky ladder as I headed for a saddle in the ridge line.

The marked (and AllTrails) route finished on this slightly lower summit.

Looking north towards Dutchmans Stern Conservation Park.

Devil's Peak.


Mt Brown.

That's Port Augusta at the head of  Spencer Gulf.




I don't mind this type of sandstone country.

This  gnarly old tree was in the saddle on the ridgline - it looks like a Snowgum to me?

The track is pretty well marked.

The country was in good nick on this visit.

Time to head back to Rawnsley Park for a swim.

It pays to have an off sider on this drive.

The Dirt.
According to AllTrails I walked around 2.6 kilometres and climbed about 247 metres on what I'd call a medium grade stroll. While the walk is short it packs a lot of climbing in - the first couple of hundred metres is actually pretty easy as the majority of the climb is done over the last kilometre to the summit. To reach the Alltrails summit will require some fairly easy scrambling. Go early or late if doing this walk on a hot day. I used the AllTrails map for this walk.

Relevant Posts.

YouTube Video.



I made a friend on this walk.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...