Thursday, May 25, 2023

The Pilot Walk, Day 2, Cowombat Flat Camp to The Pilot return - January 2023


The cloud was low when I crawled out of the tent this morning.

I shared the Pilot Creek Trail with a few brumbies this morning.

Climbing Pilot Creek Trail I started to break out of the cloud.

Dropping down Snow Gums Trail I got my first good look at The Pilot.

The climb to The Pilot is off piste - but pretty reasonable.

Up at The Pilot trig.

There was a bit of cloud off to the south east.

That's the main Range in the distance.

The Pilot.

My camp at Cowombat Flat was in that grassy clearing in the valley.

There's a small logbook buried in the cairn.

If you squint you may see some lingering snow drifts on the Main Range.

I wish all my off piste walking was a nice as this!

My off piste descent is almost finished - Cowombat Trail has just appeared through the trees.

I followed Cowombat Trail back to camp.

There was a surprising amount of water flowing off the slopes of The Pilot today.

The old cairn marking the turn off for the source of the Murray River has a Snow Gum growing out of it.

I'm not exactly sure if I found the source this afternoon...

... as the feral horses had obliterated any pad and made a mess of the soft ground around the river.

I'm thinking GPS co-ordinates might be handy here.

The classic one foot in NSW and one in VIC shot as I straddled the Murray River back at Cowombat Flat.

Resting beside the Murray River at Cowombat Flat - it had been a solid day for a fat old bloke!

Early evening views over Cowombat Flat while I enjoyed my dinner.

There were a few horses out and about however I didn't see another person. 

The Dirt.
According to my AllTrails App I walked around 24.9 kilometres and climbed about 990 metres on what I'd call a medium-hard grade days walking. I followed the route of the AAWT from camp this morning, before swinging south along Cowombat Trail for a few minutes and then climbed off track east up to The Pilot. The off piste stuff was actually reasonably good and once I was on the summit ridge the walking was great. There was quite a bit of water flowing across Cowombat Trail this afternoon. The old route to the source of the Murray River is very hard to follow - GPS co-ordinates would be handy to identify the exact spring that is the official source. I used John Chapmans notes and map along with my AllTrails App today.

Relevant Posts.

YouTube Video.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pelion Hut to Mt Ossa return, Overland Track - April 2010

Mt Oakleigh from the Pelion Hut heli pad. I think the mountain just visible in the mist in the distance is Cradle Mountain... ... the flat t...